Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Maps to Anywhere Review 2

The Hurricane Ride

Page 70

With this story, I chose to review it because it brings back childhood memories. This story reminds me of my first time riding a ride similar to this one. The ride is circular where you place yourself on the wall. While you're standing leaning against the wall the ride starts to spin. It spins so fast where you stick to the wall. In the story he describes his aunt panicking. He explained that she was very frightened and disoriented on the ride. "She screamed as the floor dropped slowly away, lipstick staining her teeth. But she stuck to the wall as if charged with static and, along with others , didn't fall.She was dressed in checks and dangling shoes, her black handbag clinging to her hip.  The hurricane ride gathered speed. My aunt was hurtling, blurred. Her mouth became a long dark line. Her delirious eyes were multiplied. Checks and flesh turned diaphanous, her plump arms, gartered thighs. Her face dissolved, a trace of rouge. I swore I saw through her for the rest of the day, despite her bulk and constant chatter, to the sea heaving beyond the beyond the boardwalk, tide absconding with the sand, waves cooling the last of the light." This describes the fear in his aunt during the ride. When  I was on the ride for the first time I tried to pull myself off the wall. By some miracle of strength I released myself from the wall. As soon as I got off and relaxed I was thrown back to it. Later he talked about how fast does something have to be where your eyes cannot keep up. He says that the earth rotates at 1038 miles per hour and we are not able to see or feel it moving. This puts me in mind of a fan that spins to a certain speed where the eye cannot see it spinning but is shown an illusion of it holding still.

No comments:

Post a Comment